5 Key Things to Know When Coming to Canada to Study

If you’re thinking of coming to Canada as an exchange student, you should go here to learn these five most important points I’d like to tell you.

Many students make it to Canada before they know they’re in “trouble.” Therefore, I advise you to consider anything that might influence your position here.

1) Visit an institution (Designated Educational Institution) and complete a course that can be eligible in the application process for Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

We repeat that all the time, yet many people are still enticed by agents who want to guide them into the wrong courses and place them in schools they aren’t allowed to work after graduation. As a result, many students end up in Canada without knowing that they’ve been deceived.

To be eligible for a PGWP, your school and the program you’re running in your school must be eligible to receive the PGWP.

Verify if the school is eligible to participate in a PGWP here. Suppose you need to know whether your program is suitable to be eligible for PGWP; contact the school directly to confirm. This is crucial.

Additionally, the length of the course you complete will determine the duration of your PGWP, therefore, be prepared and understand the choices. Learn more regarding PGWP here.

Avoid agents that say you need to go to school with no PGWP and claim they will find an employer to sponsor you to obtain open-work permits once you graduate from the school year. It’s more complicated than they claim. Therefore, beware of the stress!

2.) When is the best time to start work within Canada?

Be sure to have money to start your studies as an overseas student! Don’t be a straggler. You need more than an easy landing to begin your journey. Being able to have money can help you achieve this.

Your plan will need funds for the initial few weeks or months. You are only allowed to work legally after your program has begun. If you enroll (before the time of resumption) in the hopes of making a profit before the start of school, it is not allowed to work legally.

I know this can be difficult to listen to, but if you violate the law, the consequences could be severe!

Learn more about the requirements for being in Canada as an undergraduate college student in this article.

It’s less stressful as the main thing you’re trying to do is to make saving money and pay for future expenses. This is why I advise that students have a fund for rent, tuition, and other costs during the first semester (that’s the same as your first four monthsmonths in Canada).

What is the significance of this? First, rent and tuition are due upon arrival in Canada. Therefore, paying fees for the first time will lessen your stress.

Be prepared to avoid being stuck.

3) What is the maximum number of hours you be working as an undergraduate student?

Students can spend 20 hours per week outside school. This applies when the school year is on, and you’re attending classes. It is also possible to be full-time during breaks that are scheduled.

But what’s equally interesting? Canada provided this with such a generous offer that, even with the working hours for 20 hours you are able to do outside of school, you could continue to work inside the school. The work you perform inside the school isn’t part of the 20 work time when you are in school.

Read further about it in this article. Don’t violate this!

4) Moving schools/programs after arriving in Canada

Yes, you are able to change the school or program you are in or postpone the date you start your program once you arrive in Canada.

You cannot delay school simply because you wish to start working first and then go to school later. In the second paragraph, we explained the reason. The only time you can start working is after the program has been started.

If you are planning to switch schools completely, make sure you do this after your arrival in Canada. This could mean that you have already secured the second admission or are working to secure it before the time you enter Canada (so you could change schools right after you arrive in Canada and receive the study license).

You must also inform IRCC that you’ve changed schools through the IRCC applications portal. The procedure to follow is detailed here.

If you decide to change schools after your visa is approved and you are allowed to enter Canada, you’ll need to apply for a new study visa over and over! This is because you still need to be in Canada after you have changed schools. More information about this is found in this article. Avoid this as much as possible.

If you’re delaying the date you start your course after you arrive in Canada, it is required to get approval from the institution, and they should be able to prove the reason. This is essential because, as a student from a foreign country, you must be in school and studying throughout the day. But, the school you attend can allow you to take a study break (that is, at most, 150 consecutive days).

There are various reasons students may need to require a study leave. The reasons are explained in Part D of this article.

5) Find out when to extend, renew or modify your status

It is crucial. Students may request renewal of their passports or visas, extend their studies permits, or even change their status within Canada. Therefore, you should always keep the expiration date on your visa or permit in mind.

The law requires that you maintain valid status for the entire time and suggests that you apply to extend your visa or permit within 30 days before the expiration date of the current visa or permit.

This is to give enough space for the renewal of your visa before when your current visa expires or to ensure the status of a maintained one covers you.

It’s also always possible to begin planning how it is possible to be a permanent citizen of Canada in the future if it is something you are interested in.

Last but not least, be aware that you’re only a temporary resident and the holder of a study permit. There’s an extended way to go. Refrain from letting any quick-term gains rob you of future advantages in Canada. IRCC may be able to speak with you later, but they will be aware of where to be waiting for you.

I wish you the best in your studies in Canada!

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button